Pages

Friday 23 July 2010

The art of persuasion

Academics, politicians, philosophers and psychologists - they’re always talking about motivation in terms of the carrot or the stick. What methods have, and should be adopted so to best motivate, persuade and induce behaviour. Jeremy Bentham reasoned that all human action is motivated by one of two things; the pursuit of pleasure and the avoidance of pain.

The carrot or the stick.

On the one hand the carrot, to entice with the promise or expectation of reward. On the other the stick, to punish, coerce and force.

But stop for a second.

Is it just me, or are the leaders of the world missing a trick here. Missing the very obvious solution that’s sitting right in front of their noses. I sit amused and astonished that no one else has noticed what I see so clearly. What must surely by definition be the most motivational tool known to man – carrot sticks!!

Surely this revelation could be harnessed to make the most persuasive salad in the world. With this culinary secret you could motivate men to do anything.

Who knows what international dispute, diplomatic crisis or war could have been averted by a carefully and lovingly prepared plate of crudités. Or which workforce might have been better driven and inspired by a selection of carefully shaped snacks. Or further still what army may have achieved victory had their leaders been privy to such secrets. Had Dione Lucas, who cooked for Hitler on numerous occasions, made a chance discovery by accidentally cutting a carrot lengthways in 1942, we may all be speaking German now.

And what, you may ask, of dips? A pertinent question for sure. Who is actually investing in this I hear you cry? Which of our great universities are actually conducting research into this field? I’ve always found myself fairly persuaded by houmous, but what of taramasalata? This I find decidedly unconvincing. It tastes like a fish shat in a bowl.

Why our forebears, great men in their own right, lacked the inventiveness and perspicacity to realise a simple carrot’s full diplomatic, motivational and inspirational potential, I do not know. But we cannot blame them for their flaws.

Now I know what you’re thinking. If you’ve made this breakthrough why isn’t something being done about it? Why aren’t the right people taking action right now? Well I have already taken initial steps by posting some samples through the door of No. 10 for approval.

I’m still waiting for a reply which is strangely slow in coming, but I’m not deterred. To be honest they’re probably a little embarrassed. But I’m patient and as soon as they can swallow their pride, I’ll be humbly ready to accept my knighthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment